Patron Responsibilities and Conduct
It is a patron’s responsibility to maintain necessary and proper standards of behavior in order to protect his/her individual rights and the rights and privileges of other patrons. If a patron creates a public nuisance, that patron may be restricted from the Library and from the use of the library facilities. Those who are unwilling to leave or do not leave within a reasonable amount of time, after being instructed to do so by the staff, will be subject to the law.
The Scandinavia Public Library encourages visits by young children and it is our desire to make this important visit both memorable and enjoyable for the child. Library staff is not expected to assume responsibility for the care of unsupervised children in the library.
- Behavior that disrupts or hinders use of the Library is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to, boisterous behavior, verbal or physical harassment, drunkenness or drug intoxication, and fighting.
- Misrepresenting eligibility for services or identity in order to receive Library services is prohibited. Misrepresenting identity may be prosecuted as a felony.
- Smoking is not permitted in the Library.
- Roller-skating, roller-blading, and skateboarding are not permitted in the Library.
- Bicycles, wagons and strollers must not obstruct corridors, hallways, aisles, entries or exits.
- Blocking or obstructing an entrance, exit, or sidewalk is not permitted.
- Selling products or services, soliciting donations or business, or distributing materials not approved by Library Administration, is not permitted on Library property. Exceptions may be made for Library-sponsored programs or when otherwise authorized by the Library Administration. Panhandling is not permitted on Library property.
- Taking surveys, circulating petitions, and similar activities are permitted in the Library only when authorized by the Library Administration.
- Animals, except those used to aid persons with disabilities, or as part of a Library-sponsored program, are not permitted in the Library.
- Parents or other legal guardians are responsible for the behavior of their minor children in the Library.
- The violation of federal or state laws or local ordinances is not permitted in the Library. Theft, vandalism, and mutilation of Library property are criminal offenses and may be prosecuted. The Library is not responsible for personal belongings left unattended.
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages or possession of open containers of alcoholic beverages is not permitted on Library property, except as part of a program authorized by the Library Administration.
- Persons whose bodily hygiene is offensive so as to constitute a nuisance to other library users will be asked to leave.
- Eavesdropping on other Library users or staff is prohibited as an invasion of privacy and confidentiality.
- Failure to comply with these rules may result in the loss of Library use privileges.
Approved by the Scandinavia Public Library Board on October 5, 2007