1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
1000 Books Before Kindergarten is a multi-year project designed to encourage parents to read aloud at least 1000 books with their children before they enter school.
The program is open to any preschooler whose primary caregiver uses the Scandinavia Public Library in person.
1000 Books Before Kindergarten goals include:
- Introducing a fun method to encourage families to read aloud to preschoolers
- Introducing children to a wide range of excellent books to promote pre-literacy skills so children enter school ready to learn
- Encouraging regular library use by families and enhancing our outreach to caregivers
Children receive a reading folder and book bag at registration with pages to record the books read. Registration is done in person at the Scandinavia Public Library. Families are encouraged to return to the library every time they finish reading or listening to 100 books. Children receive congratulatory stickers for every 100 books they finish. The culminating prize is a book the child can keep.
A key aspect of 1000 Books Before Kindergarten is to connect it with caregivers. You can assist us by:
- Signing up with a child in your care
- Reading to a child in your life