Welcome to 1000 Books Before Kindergarten! This free program encourages you to read 1000 books with your child before he or she enters school, a goal experts say children need to help them learn to read for themselves. One of the best ways to encourage learning is to spend time sharing books every day. Reading together helps develop important pre-reading skills that are key to school and learning success. Plus, sharing stories together is fun!
1. Sign up at the Scandinavia Public Library and receive a 1000 Books Before Kindergarten log and book bag.
2. Read together
3. Write the titles on your 1000 Books Before Kindergarten log. If you read a book more than once, you can record it each time. Books read at library storytime, at daycare or by others to your child also count! You can also color in or check off a book read rather than writing down the title.
4. When you finish 100 books, bring your sheet to the library. Your child will receive a sticker to acknowledge his or her progress.
5. Return to the library each time 100 books are completed for additional stickers.
6. After finishing 1000 books, your child will receives a book to keep and a certificate
Gets a jumpstart on success in school and life by reading together. 1000 Books Before Kindergarten has no end date except your child’s going to school, so don’t feel rushed. Enjoy the experience! Take every chance you have to read with your children, tell and talk about